TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea reconsidering Ike Ugbo’s loan with Roda JCby Paul Vegas24 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea are reconsidering Ike Ugbo’s loan at Roda JC.Sky Sports says Chelsea have launched an investigation after learning Ugbo has not been paid while on loan at Dutch side Roda JC.Ugbo has made a strong impression in the Netherlands, scoring four goals in seven games, but the club has significant debts and currently sit 17th in the Dutch second division.It is understood the 21-year-old is on a much higher salary than his current team-mates in Holland, and he has not been paid his September wages.Some reports have suggested the money set aside to pay Ugbo was instead used to pay the rest of the squad.
OKLAHOMA CITY – MARCH 13: The Oklahoma State Cowboys mascot during the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship Semifinals at the Ford Center March 13, 2009 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)The basketball version of the Bedlam rivalry is taking place tonight in Stillwater, and No. 24 Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are involved in a tight contest midway through the second half. Both teams need a victory not only for bragging rights but to keep on track for an NCAA berth. It’s been a quiet night so far for Oklahoma State’s star forward Le’Bryan Nash, but the 6-foot-7 senior does have one major highlight. It came early in the second half, in the form of a gorgeous no-look pass to teammate Michael Cobbins for a dunk.Flashy and effective. This is an entertaining game right now between two bitter rivals.[ H/T: @pistolsguy ]
Neymar is exceptional and on the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo and his former Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi, according to Brazil legend Zico.The Paris Saint-Germain forward did not make the top 10 of the 2018 Ballon d’Or after struggling to make an impact at the World Cup having missed the end of the season with a fractured metatarsal.Messi missed out on the podium for an award he and Ronaldo have won five times each, with the Portugal superstar beaten into second place by Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Neymar has often featured as a number 10 for PSG under new coach Thomas Tuchel this term despite typically featuring on the wing during his career, a position Zico feels is his strongest role.And Zico, now a director at Kashima Antlers having starred for Brazil in the 1970s and 1980s, feels Neymar should be considered on a par with Messi and Ronaldo.”Neymar doesn’t play in this role [as a 10],” Zico said to Omnisport. “He is a wing player, and always has been. They [clubs] give him a number 10 because there is a big meaning in life of a great name of the Brazilian team.”Maybe, the only one that went out of this was Romario, a born striker that had the option [to play as an] 11. But, every forward from every club chose the number 10 because it was the big representing of the great name of the club. The clubs themselves made a point of it.”So, the number 10 jersey had a weight, not only in the national team, but in Brazil. The big reference. He was the team’s star, so he received the number 10.”I think Neymar has this situation, [it is] obvious he has more pressure. Every great player is more outstanding in the victory, but has more pressure in defeats. But he is an exceptional player. He has a talent like few in world football. I put him at the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi.”Flash and Batman pic.twitter.com/pDRoEypIwW— Neymar Jr (@neymarjr) January 1, 2019While Neymar is Brazil’s current talisman, he has often appeared to struggle under the weight of expectation placed on his shoulders wearing the number 10 shirt for his country.”It is not the jersey of the Brazilian team, it is Pele’s jersey,” Zico added. “The biggest player of the world’s football history! This is the problem.”The pressure is this: everybody thinks that who wears this shirt has to do what Pele has done! It’s a cowardice with any player!”The problem is – do not get carried away by this, or try to compare to this. The problem is letting people know that you play different, in another way and with different characteristics.”
LINCOLN, NE – AUGUST 31: Nebraska fans release red balloons after the Nebraska Cornhuskers score their first points of the game against the Wyoming Cowboys at Memorial Stadium on August 31, 2013 in Lincoln, Nebraska. (Photo by Eric Francis/Getty Images)Nebraska football has to be excited about the future for Adrian Martinez, who is coming off of a very strong individual season for the Huskers. The team could be without his back-up, who filled in early in the season for him, Andrew Bunch.Bunch, a sophomore out of Tennessee, was a preferred walk-on for the Huskers. After Martinez won the starting job, the Huskers lost quarterbacks Patrick O’Brien and Tristan Gebbia to transfer, to Colorado State and Oregon State respectively.That left Bunch as QB2 for Nebraska, and when Martinez went down in the Huskers’ first game against Colorado, he stepped in, and started the loss to Troy as well.Bunch played about as well as you could hope from a walk-on thrust into action unexpectedly, completing 31-of-47 throws for 320 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions.UCF transfer Noah Vedral will be eligible next season, and the team will add four-star Luke McCaffrey, brother of NFL star Christian and Michigan quarterback Dylan.As a result, Andrew Bunch plans to look into a transfer, Nebraska football has confirmed.The team wants him back, but respects his decision, per the Omaha World-Herald.Bunch, a walk-on from Thompson’s Station, Tennessee, met with head coach Scott Frost recently and “felt it necessary,” a spokesman said, to look at transfer spots. Nebraska is supporting his decision to look around while welcoming him back to the team for next season if he wants to be a part of it.“Andrew knows that we certainly would like to have him back next year,” the spokesman said. “He is a competitor, and we are a better team with him.”It is unclear what type of program Bunch will look into, but it would definitely be a blow to Nebraska’s depth at the position, given his experience.[Omaha World-Herald]
ARLINGTON, TX – APRIL 26: A view of the NFL Draft theater prior to the start of the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft at AT&T Stadium on April 26, 2018 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)One of college football’s best quarterback from the 2017 season suffered a significant regression during the 2018 campaign that could affect his draft stock. Auburn’s Jarrett Stidham threw for 400 fewer yards and suffered a 14-point drop in his player rating from 2017-2018.While the 2018 season wasn’t as kind to the Auburn Tigers, Stidham just wanted a chance to prove he belongs with the best quarterbacks in the 2019 draft class. He got that chance at the Senior Bowl where he competed against top collegiate talent.According to Bleacher Report’s NFL draft expert Matt Miller, Stidham helped his draft stock with a solid performance this week.One scout remarked how Stidham had “no help” from his line and skill players this past season, which is why we saw a regression in his production. Teams still like him. Three evaluators from different teams added he could be a sneaky late first-rounder.If Stidham sneaks into the end of the first round, there’s a legitimate possibility that five quarterbacks go in the first round. Dwayne Haskins and Drew Lock are virtual locks to go in the first, while Daniel Jones and Kyler Murray (if he chooses football) will also likely go in the first.The 2019 draft kicks off on April 25.
“Oregon is the dream school for me and has been for a long time. Ever since Darron Thomas was playing quarterback for them and they played against Cam Newon in the BCS title game, I’ve been an Oregon fan. I love the coaching staff at Oregon, they’re so energetic and that’s another school I want to visit so I can really see how things are there.”As a West Coast QB, it isn’t too surprising that Oregon would be involved here. He also says he wants to get more acquainted with the home town teams, UCLA and USC.Two of the other schools on his early offer list have gotten particular attention as well: Texas and Ohio State.“Texas was my most recent offer and I have a lot of interest in them for sure,” Murphy said. “I’m the first quarterback in the 2022 class they offered so that means a lot to me. They’ll be a top school for me for years to come in the recruiting process and that’s a school I can definitely see myself at.”[…]“I really like how I fit the program at Ohio State,” Murphy said. “I like the offense a lot and feel it’s a really good fit for what I do. I see the success Dwayne Haskins had and I think I could big things there as well. I’m developing a good relationship with coach (Mike) Yurcich as well and hopefully I can get out there for a visit, I’ve never been before.As such a young recruit, he is still gathering information and setting early camp visits for this summer. It won’t be long before he has rankings set, and his list of schools becomes more clear.[247Sports] EUGENE, OR – SEPTEMBER 20: General view of Autzen Stadium during the game between the University of Michigan Wolverines and the University Oregon Ducks on September 20, 2003 in Eugene, Oregon. Oregon defeated Michigan 31-27. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)As a 2022 recruit, quarterback Maalik Murphy has a little while before he is firmly in the spotlight. He just wrapped up his freshman season of high school, after all.The recruiting sites don’t generally touch players that young. However, a glance at the list of schools already involved in his recruitment shows just how big a recruit he already is.The California native claims offers from the likes of Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and Texas. Those have come with just one year of high school ball under his belt.Maalik Murphy discussed some of these teams, and where his recruitment stands, in a recent interview.Perhaps the most revealing bit: he says Oregon is his “dream” program. From 247Sports:
Needless to say, the fans were absolutely thrilled to see Fromm thanking them.Great win. You played one heck of a game. You represent UGA with class and dignity. UGA nation is proud of you.— J Thompson (@jthomp1959) September 23, 2019Love you Fromm. You had a great game and all you Dawgs fought hard to get this incredible win— Kat Hamilton (@katham515) September 23, 2019We appreciate you Jake!— James Huff (@HuffDawgSC) September 23, 2019Fromm and the Bulldogs were largely held in check in the first half. A D’Andre Swift touchdown late in the second quarter was all that saved them from a first-half shutout.But in front of 93,246 fans, Georgia would not be denied. They took the lead in the third quarter on a pair of Rodrigo Blankenship field goals.Fromm then led Georgia to a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter with a touchdown pass to Lawrence Cager. Another drive capped off by a Blankenship field goal made it 23-10. A Notre Dame touchdown late in the fourth made the final score 23-17.Their win against the highly-touted Fighting Irish helped the Bulldogs maintain a No. 3 ranking in the AP poll. ATLANTA, GA – JANUARY 08: Jake Fromm #11 of the Georgia Bulldogs throws a pass during the first quarter against the Alabama Crimson Tide in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on January 8, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Jake Fromm led the Georgia Bulldogs to a 23-17 win over Notre Dame this past weekend. The game took place in front of the largest crowd ever at Sanford Stadium, and it’s hard to deny that the crowd noise didn’t play a factor in the win.Taking to Twitter on Sunday, Fromm thanked the Georgia fans who attended the game. He said he was enjoying every minute of the game and the season.“Enjoying every minute of it, Sanford Stadium could not have rocked harder last night #GoDawgs,” Fromm wrote.Enjoying every minute of it, Sanford Stadium could not have rocked harder last night #GoDawgs pic.twitter.com/luXqikYUvR— JakefromStateFromm (@FrommJake) September 23, 2019
2nd Test: Faf du Plessis century puts South Africa in pole position vs PakistanSouth Africa vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Faf du Plessis hit 103 as South Africa reached 382 for six at stumps on Day 2 in reply to Pakistan’s 177 all out.advertisement Reuters Cape TownJanuary 4, 2019UPDATED: January 4, 2019 22:49 IST Faf du Plessis scored his 9th Test century (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSFaf du Plessis scored 103 as South Africa reached 382 for 6 at stumps on Day 2South Africa now lead Pakistan by 205 runs in the Cape Town TestSouth Africa resume with Quinton de Kock not out on 55 and Vernon Philander on 6Captain Faf du Plessis led from the front with a hard-earned century to give South Africa a commanding 205-run advantage at the end of the second day of the second Test against Pakistan at Newlands on Friday.Du Plessis failed to score in either innings in the first Test in Pretoria last week, but made 103 in a 226-ball knock as South Africa piled up 382 for six in reply to Pakistan’s 177 all out on the opening day.Pakistan will be up against it on Saturday when South Africa resume with Quinton de Kock not out on 55 and Vernon Philander on six as they look to press home their advantage.Du Plessis had to toil for his ninth Test century on an uneven pitch, hitting some superb shots through extra cover but also surviving being dropped on 96 to an easy catch down leg that Pakistan wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed spilt.He was eventually out to a feint tickle off teenager Shaheen Shah, who finished the day with the best Pakistan figures of 3/112.Temba Bavuma, who saw two reviews go his way, made 75 and it was his 156-run fifth wicket partnership with the skipper that enabled South Africa to take the game away from their opponents after losing two wickets early in the day.South Africa were on 123/2 overnight but Hashim Amla (24) and Theunis de Bruyn (13) departed in the morning session before Bavuma, having scored three, was reprieved by the third umpire after appearing to be caught in the slips.It was decided that the catch had been taken off the turf.advertisementHe also survived a lbw decision with the review going his way to the exasperation of Pakistan.Bavuma was eventually caught by Sarfraz off Shaheen, who then also bagged du Plessis but only after another review, which this time went Pakistan’s way.De Kock hit fours off his first two deliveries and never looked back as he raced to his half century off 59 balls.Also Watch:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byJepher Nickels Tags :Follow Faf Du PlessisFollow Temba BavumaFollow Quinton de KockFollow Shaheen Afridi
Next Mueller, Boateng and Hummels no longer in Joachim Loew’s Germany plansJerome Boateng, Mats Hummels and Thomas Mueller struggled for form this season. The Bayern Munich trio was part of the 2014 World Cup-winning team but the Germans crashed out of the 2018 World Cup in the group stage, their earliest exit in 80 years.advertisement Reuters BerlinMarch 5, 2019UPDATED: March 5, 2019 21:43 IST Thomas Mueller was part of the 2014 World Cup-winning Germany team (AP Photo)HIGHLIGHTSGermany coach Joachim Loew not planning to call up Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels and Thomas Mueller any longerThe Bayern Munich trio was part of the 2014 World Cup-winning team”I thank Mats, Jerome and Thomas for the many successful, extraordinary and unique years we shared,” Loew saidGermany coach Joachim Loew is not planning to call up world champions Jerome Boateng, Mats Hummels and Thomas Mueller any longer, saying the team needs to look to the future.The Bayern Munich trio was part of the 2014 World Cup-winning team but the Germans crashed out of the 2018 World Cup in the group stage, their earliest exit in 80 years.All three have also struggled for form this season.”I thank Mats, Jerome and Thomas for the many successful, extraordinary and unique years we shared,” Loew said in a statement issued by the German FA.”Now it is time to set the course for the future. We want to give the team a new look,” Loew said.”I am convinced that this is the right step. The youngsters coming through will have the room they need to grow. Now it’s up to them to take on responsibility.”Loew, who can call on young talent including Julian Brandt, Kai Havertz, Leroy Sane, Niklas Suele and Serge Gnabry, said he had travelled to Munich to inform the three Bayern players.”2019 is a new beginning for the Germany national team,” he said. “It was important for me to personally explain my decision to the players and the FC Bayern management.”The German coach has been in charge since 2006 and his contract runs to 2022.SAME GENERATIONWith close to 250 internationals between them, Hummels (70 caps), Mueller (100) and Boateng (74) were part of the same generation.Hummels and Boateng, both 30, played together in the 2009 Under-21 European championship triumph as Germany started to reap the rewards of a major and sustained investment in youth players that had started seven years earlier.advertisementThey all graduated to the senior team and took part in the 2010 World Cup where Germany’s youngest tournament team in 76 years reached the semi-finals with an exciting run that included wins over England and Argentina.Mueller, 29, has scored 10 goals at World Cups, winning the golden boot in 2010. He was the second-top scorer four years later with another five goals.The trio’s international cycle was complete when Germany were crowned world champions in 2014, having also clinched an extraordinary 7-1 victory against hosts Brazil in the last four.”I am personally convinced that I can still play at the highest level and will continue to do so,” Boateng wrote on Twitter.”I was always extremely proud to wear the national team top ands I will never forget the summer of 2014. But I would have obviously wished for a different departure.”Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff told Bild newspaper: “Thomas, Mats and Jerome have achieved a lot for German football,””They will continue to do so for their club. I continue to feel very connected to them and am thankful for the time we spent together in the national team.”Germany play their first international of 2019 on March 20 against Serbia in Wolfsburg.Also Watch:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byJepher Nickels Tags :Follow Jerome BoatengFollow Mats HummelsFollow Thomas MuellerFollow Joachim Loew