first_imgOld Orchard Saturday DivisionFintown Harps AFC 2 Glencar Celtic 2In windy conditions at Pairc Achla Fintown played their 1st game of the new league season against Glencar Celtic. In the 1st half Glencar started off well with an early goal. They took control of the game but they were unable to get pass the Fintown defence again. Fintown were awarded a free in the 35th minute. John Molloy made no mistake, shooting direct to the net. Again Glencar scored early into the 2nd half but their lead was short lived as Fintown’s Brian Delany equalised. Good team performances by both sides. Referee: Michael McFaddenMulroy Celtic 5 Strand Rovers 0Mulroy were convincing winners on the opening day of the season at a blustery tri a loch. Mulroy opened the scoring in the second minute with a lovely free kick from debutant Shaun Callaghan. The second wasn’t long in following with Johnny Nanny finishing well from a tight angle after a fine ball from Mc Garvey. Strand came out a different team in the second half and pushed hard to get back into the game but Mc Grory and Friel were magnificent in the centre of Mulroy’s defence. Shaun Mc Garvey then capped a fine debut with a thunderous strike from the edge of the area. Second half substitute Michael Sweeney then got the 4th with a poachers finish before Johnny Nanny put the icing on the cake with a fine finish from a flowing team move. Hard to pick a best player for Mulroy with all the attacking threat but special praise to Paul Mc Fadden who worked tirelessly in Mulroy’s engine room on what was a great day for all Mulroy’s new signings. Referee : Brian O’ Kane Drumbar F.C. 0 Orchard F.C. 6Drumbar suffered a heavy home defeat against Orchard on the first day of the league. Orchard’s experience proved too much for Drumbar who made too many individual errors. Drumbar also spurned four one on one chances in a game where they needed to take any chance that came their way. Final score 0-6. Orchard’s Niall Bonner stood out overall with a Man of the Match performance.Glencar Inn Saturday Reserve DivisionCurragh Athletic Reserves 1 Erne Wanderers Reserves 1In perfect playing conditions it was the Curragh who started strongest. They made the breakthrough on 23 minutes when Michael Kearney won the ball and beat the Erne centre half and laid a perfect pass to the feet of the in-rushing Cromie who coolly slotted past the visiting keeper. This stirred the visitors who conjured a flurry of good attacks but some fine goalkeeping from Jason Woods preserved the Curragh’s lead until the interval. The Ernesiders came out pumped up for the 2nd half but couldn’t seem to break through the Curragh back line with Froggie ruling the roost. It seemed a mistake would be their only way through. The mistake which duly came, Mark Browne getting caught in possession by Erne’s Luke Toland who went one on one with Woods and got the Ballyshannon team back in the game on 61 minutes. Shea Hannigan did manage to find the Erne net only to be ruled offside. Erne also had a penalty claim dismissed. A fair result in the end with both teams gaining a share of the points. Best for Curragh: Jason Woods. Best for Erne: Luke Toland.Drumoghill F.C. Reserves 4 St. Catherines Reserves 0Drumoghill got their league campaign off to a flying start with a fine won over a youthful St. Catherines’ side . Drumoghill’s first goal arrived on the half hour mark when Andrew Peoples latched onto a John O’ Kane pass. Peoples was again involved in goal number two, this time he turned provider with a lovely pass in behind the Catherine’s defence which Mark Gibson latched onto and made no mistake. Catherine’s to their credit never gave in and it wasn’t till the seventieth minute that Drumoghill made the game safe and it was Mark Gibson who fired home his second of the day after Emmet Haughey sent him through Ethan Mc Cready rounded off the scoring with a fine strike after he beat two defenders to fire home .Glenea United Reserves 5 Milford United Reserves 1Glenea Reserves got their league programme underway with a hard earned victory over Milford. In a tight 1st half, not helped by the wintery conditions, both sides found it difficult to create chances until Milford opened the scoring on 30 minutes when Conor Meakin fired them ahead. In the 2nd half the home side started well and equalised after 50 minutes when Shane Coll’s corner was headed back across goal and Sean Mc Cafferty was on hand to stab the ball home from close range. Glenea took the lead on 60 minutes when Padraig Mc Gee converted a penalty after Ciaran Mc Geady had been fouled in the area. Milford came more into the game and pushed hard for an equaliser but failed to convert a couple of chances that came their way. Glenea extended their lead on 80 minutes when Aodhan Ferry flicked on a free-kick and Ciaran Mc Geady headed home from close in. Glenea completed their tally with two late goals. Ciaran Mc Geady got his 2nd of the game when he was put through by Martin Maguire, Mc Geady slid the ball past the keeper. In the final minute Aodhan Ferry broke down the right and his cross was turned in by Paul Coll. Best for Glenea were Martin Maguire, Shane Coll and Ciaran Mc Geady, while it was a team effort from Milford. Referee: Keith Ferry Cappry Rovers Reserves 0 Keadue Rovers Reserves 2Keadue started this game very well and pressed the youthful home side. Keadue forced Liam O’Meara into a few good saves. In the 35th minute Adam Neeley gave O’Meara no chance with a stunning strike from 25 yards which ended up in the top corner. The visitors tried hard to get a 2nd before half time but it did not arrive. Cappry started the second half well and pressed looking to get level but the Keadue defence held firm and we’re always a danger on the break. Kyle Lafferty thought he’d got the home team back level with a fine strike from 25 yards but saw his effort well saved by the Keadue keeper. In the 72nd min Keadue made it 2-0 when Chris Greene got a free header from a corner. The home team tried hard to get a goal but couldn’t find way through the Keadue defence. Two team performances. Referee: Liam Mc LaughlinCastlefin Celtic Reserves 4 Donegal Town Reserves 3Castlefin got their season of to a winning start against Donegal Town in an entertaining game at Parkview. Castlefin took the lead after 2 minutes, a Matthew O’Rourke cross found Conor Dalton who tapped home at the back post. Castlefin doubled their lead on 18 minutes, Simon Mc Menamin’s kick out found Conor Dalton who finished into the roof of the net. Donegal Town pulled one back a minute later, a cross from the right found Adam Enright who finished into the bottom corner from 6 yards. Castlefin started the second half the brighter and on 52 minutes Marcus Curran found Matthew O’Rourke who beat the Donegal keeper from the edge of the box. Donegal pulled one back a minute later when a mix-up in the Castlefin defence saw Gary Ward take advantage and finish at the back post. Donegal found the equaliser on 67th minutes when Aaron Gallagher tapped in at the front post. Castlefin took the lead again a minute later James Mc Menamin’s cross found Marcus Curran who headed home at the back post. Donegal pressed hard for an equaliser but the Castlefin defence stood firm to claim all three points.DONEGAL LEAGUE: ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: September 13th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img read more