Facebook Pinterest Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Google+ Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Pinterest Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle is amongst a group of eight Independent TDs who say Alan Shatter’s position as Justice Minister is no longer tenable.The group also includes Shane Ross, Mattie McGrath, Catherine Murphy, John Halligan and Roisin Shortall.They say Minister Shatter’s political judgment has been called into question recently.Deputy Thomas Pringle is calling on the Minister to resign:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/pringSHAT.mp3[/podcast] By News Highland – February 20, 2014 Google+ News Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Deputy Pringle calls on Justice Minister Alan Shatter to resign Previous article“Disappointing” response to PSNI Bloody Sunday investigation appealNext articleFamily of Strabane woman who was found dead 36 years ago receive anonymous letter News Highland Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Twitter 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire
Published on February 2, 2020 at 8:18 pm Contact Skyler: [email protected] | @skylerriveraa Facebook Twitter Google+ They passed around spicy thai chili and cool ranch Doritos in a small green tent. Kyle Maiorana, Justin Stock, Gabe Khan and Anthony “Tricky” Tricarico were outside of the Carrier Dome’s Gate E on Friday night. They had secured a first-place spot for the Otto’s Army campout.A wait that had started the night before ended in guaranteed first-row seats for the Duke men’s basketball game on Saturday. Otto’s Army set a slew of obstacles for campers to tackle in order to be awarded their prized seats. The first step: check-in at the women’s basketball game Thursday night.The four freshmen at SU joined approximately 40 other students in what has become an annual campout before the Duke game. The temperatures hovered around the 20s and spots in line were threatened if campers missed a check-in, but four hours prior to tip-off in Syracuse’s 97-88 loss to Duke, the group filed into the Dome.“This is our biggest event of the year,” said Jonathan Danilich, a member of the Otto’s Army executive board. “We work really hard for it.”Maiorana, Stock, Khan and Tricarico, the self-proclaimed “Cool Kids,” grabbed dinner at Sadler Dining Hall on Thursday before their days-long wait. They arrived outside of the Dome at 6 p.m., and wrote their names at the top of Otto’s Army’s list. It was resilience that earned them first place for the campout, but that didn’t come without competition. When the temperature neared the 20s they debated waiting inside an ESF building, but their gut told them no. Others had already started to arrive.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“Five minutes later and we would’ve been second,” Khan said.Skyler Rivera | Contributing WriterTwenty-four hours later, the group set up their small green tent, provided by Khan’s mom, in front of the Barnes Center at the Arch. They were handed laminated orange cards labeled 004, representing their spot in line, first among students — the opening three spots were reserved for the Otto’s Army executive board.Inside the tent, an air mattress covered in a striped sheet lay beside a lantern and multiple Coca-Cola bottles. With 26 hours until tip-off, the group passed time by playing poker with an electronic-chip app. Their RA from Shaw Hall, Mario Garcia, sat on a folding chair outside the tent as Dorito crumbs fell on the mattress, the same one all four squeezed onto later that night.Khan and Tricarico are Syracuse natives, born and raised Orange fans. Maiorana and Stock are Ohio natives but befriended the other boys and quickly became SU fans. The group, all freshman engineering majors, laughed about their first-year dorm shenanigans and discussed plans for Super Bowl Sunday.One hour into the campout, Otto’s Army leaders called for a roll call and campers filed out of their tents to check-in. If campers missed a check-in, they’d lose their spot in line.More arrived over time, and by 10 p.m. Friday, there were around ten tents pitched and over 40 campers. Country music blasted from one tent, Syracuse flags flew from another, and an hour-long cornhole game commenced. Meanwhile, the “Cool Kids” continued their poker game.Campers and casual fanatics could continue to check in with Otto’s Army until 10 a.m. on Saturday. At noon, Maiorana, Stock, Khan and Tricarico packed up their green tent and headed back to Shaw to clean up for the game. At 3:30 p.m., they met at Gate F to check-in for the final time, a reward for their nearly two days of hard work.“It’s all about the experience,” Tricarico said. “It’s about doing stuff you usually can’t do.”As the clock struck 4 p.m., the campout groups were ushered into the Dome and the “Cool Kids” led the pack. They claimed their hard-earned front row seats and settled in for pregame warmups.The Syracuse-Duke game’s announced crowd of 31,458 people was the largest on-campus crowd this season, and the boys from the green tent had some of the best seats. During the game, they won an in-stadium prize — all four boys won $30 Carrabba’s Italian Grill gift cards for a random seat-of-the-game.It wasn’t about the gift cards or even the game’s outcome. It was about the experience. Comments
“I need shoes, equipment and proper training, but there’s nothing.”At sunset, friendly football matches are played on patches of open ground across the capital, with teenagers like Salim kicking up clouds of dust.The pitches have no markings, are full of holes and the goal posts are almost always without a net.“There is nobody to motivate me,” said Salim, a resident of Tuti Island, where the Blue Nile and White Nile meet in the capital.“I hope the revolution changes this,” he said, referring to the months-long mass protest movement that led to the ouster of longtime president Omar al-Bashir in April.Many say Bashir’s three decades of iron-fisted rule sidelined the sport — a national pastime.There are no competitive youth leagues in Sudan, meaning young players like Salim can only play in friendly matches between local clubs.Their skills are further cramped by poorly maintained pitches, which cause regular injuries that often end many talented players’ careers before they even take off.The matches are “disorganised” and players lack any kind of training or management, said the vice president of the Sudanese Football Association, Al-Fatih Bani.Local clubs avoid improving facilities because there are no competitive leagues for youths, he said.While there are some 30 well-maintained pitches in the country, they are privately owned and open only to the elite, Bani added.– Poor record –Sudan has never qualified for the World Cup, even though the country was a pioneer of the sport on the continent.Along with Egypt and Ethiopia, it helped to found the African Football Confederation, but has only won the African Cup of Nations once in 1970 when it hosted the tournament.The last time Sudan qualified for the continent’s biennial tournament was in 2012, even though it has been expanded to a 24-nation format.In 1989, Omdurman-based Al-Merrikh became the only Sudanese team to win an African club trophy.Sudanese football fans are often seen sporting the shirts of international clubs instead of their national team, the result of its poor record brought on by decades of official neglect, according to Bani.“Many talented players do not get the opportunity to improve and advance,” said Monzer Hassan, a coach of a youth team.“A complete lack of football academies deprives these talented players from honing their skills,” he said, adding that every player dreams of playing for the two leading Sudanese clubs, Al-Hilal and Al-Merrikh.A Sudanese player has never been picked up by a European club, said Bani, but the country is a lucrative destination for foreign players as Sudanese clubs are hungry for professionals.“Bashir’s regime hurt the sport immensely,” said Mohamed Harun, an Al-Hilal board member.“His Islamic regime considered football a tribal activity that did not deserve support or investment.”For those like Salim or Bani, the revolution that ousted Bashir could herald a turnaround.“I hope the revolution gives a strong push to football in Sudan,” said Bani.0Shares0000(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000“There are no facilities or the equipment we need,” said Salim, son of a farmer, before booting a ball across a dirt pitch in a Khartoum neighbourhood.KHARTOUM, Sudan, Jul 30 – He has no kit or support system but 17-year-old footballer Emad Salim hopes Sudan’s uprising will bring a boost to his beloved sport and help its players step onto the world stage.“There are no facilities or the equipment we need,” said Salim, son of a farmer, before booting a ball across a dirt pitch in a Khartoum neighbourhood.
One year is all that stands between athletes around the world and their bid to attain the top prize at the pinnacle of sport – the London Olympics.With International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge set to get the official ‘One Year to Go’ countdown underway in London on Wednesday, the focus of athletes will shift to honing their skills and getting ready for the mega event, which begins on July 27 at the new Olympic Stadium.Boxing and shooting offer India its brightest chances of bettering its tally of one gold and two bronze at the previous Games in Beijing. On Tuesday, the two sports came together in the form of five-time world champion MC Mary Kom and rifle ace Gagan Narang.The duo was here at the launch of a new website for Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ), a non-profit organisation founded by legendary sportsmen Prakash Padukone and Geet Sethi and that supports the training and other needs of the athletes. The website was launched by film star Deepika Padukone, Prakash’s daughter and a director of the OGQ. Speaking to Mail Today, Mary Kom outlined her plans in the build- up to the Games, at which women’s boxing makes its debut.”I hope I can bring the kind of performance I have had at the World Championships to the Olympics next year. I am preparing hard to get a qualifying spot at the World Championships next year and, hopefully, a medal at the Olympics too,” said Mary, who will be competing in the 51kg category.advertisement”I am working on some stronger punching and also my speed, in order to adjust to the category. The technique doesn’t need much change, but it does make a bit of difference, which is what I need to fine- tune at the camp in Patiala,” she said.Narang admitted to being jittery before the Games. It is very exciting that there is just one year to go and our final preparations will now be on the way. Earlier, we used to wait for the final qualifying tournaments but this time eight shooters have already qualified for the Olympics,” he said.Deepika, meanwhile, said she keenly follows sports and that was pleased to be supporting athletes. “Even if I don’t get time to watch sports, I definitely keep myself updated, either through my dad or through Twitter. It made sense to me to come on board with OGQ and actively take part and support our athletes,” she said.Viren Rasquinha, chief executive of OGQ and former India hockey captain, announced special plans to help athletes. The chief among these is the help of a video analyst for badminton ace Saina Nehwal, which will be provided by Sports Mechanics, a sports technology organisation headed by the Indian cricket team’s former video analyst S Ramakrishna.Mental strengthening coach Abha Banerjee has also been brought into the fold. She has worked with rifle shooter Sanjeev Rajput and it helped him win a World Cup gold medal and an Olympic quota spot this year.In addition, for the nine shooters part of OGQ, a Kazakh masseur recommended by national rifle coach Stanislav Lapidus, is being brought in.Support For AshwiniAsked about OGQ’s support to dope- tainted athlete Ashwini Akkunji, Rasquinha said: “In our official capacity, we have stopped funding to her, pending the result of the inquiry. Performance-wise, she had the potential and her doping history was clean. In a personal capacity, we are giving her support to ensure that she gets through this difficult phase.”Even if she has made a mistake, we will support her emotionally, and we will make sure that every supplement, every medicine that our athletes take is approved by an expert doctor first.”
England’s Stuart Broad appeals and dismisses India’s Virat Kohli (right) during the first cricket test match at Trent Bridge cricket ground in Nottingham, England on Sunday, July 13, 2014. ReutersIndia were 230 for six in their second innings at lunch on the last day of the first cricket Test against England at the Trent Bridge in Nottingham on Sunday.Stuart Binny was batting on 26 and Ravindra Jadeja at 18 at the break. India now have a lead of 191 runs.The hosts picked up three valuable wickets. Team India lost Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane and M S Dhoni early in the first session.Ravindra Jadeja was joined by Stuart Binny to arrest the slide on the fifth day of the opening Test against England at Trent Bridge in Nottingham.