Ben185/iStockBy AARON KATERSKY and EMILY SHAPIRO, ABC News(NEW YORK) — A 23-year-old has been charged with second-degree attempted murder as a hate crime after allegedly stabbing a 36-year-old Asian man in the back in New York City’s Chinatown, police sources said.Salman Muflihi, of Brooklyn, allegedly pulled an 8-inch knife on the victim at about 6:20 p.m. Thursday, according to police sources.The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition, sources said.After the attack Muflihi ran to a security guard outside the nearby Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, allegedly telling the guard, “I just stabbed someone. Where are the police at?” sources said.Muflih allegedly told detectives that he “didn’t like the way” the victim “looked at him,”Muflihi was also charged with assault, forgery and criminal possession of a weapon, according to police sources.Violence against Asians has been growing since the pandemic.Between March and December last year, the organization Stop Asian American and Pacific Islander Hate recorded nearly 3,000 reports of anti-Asian hate incidents nationwide.The New York City Police Department reported a 1,900% increase in anti-Asian hate crimes last year.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Google+ Google+ WhatsApp Ford recalls more than 250,000 vehicles due to door latch issues TAGSdoor latchFiestafordFusionLincoln MKZMexicorecall Previous articleIndiana not detailing ICU capacity as coronavirus cases growNext articleNotre Dame researchers study spread, effects of COVID-19 Brooklyne Beatty WhatsApp IndianaLocalMichiganNationalNews Do you drive a Ford Fusion, Fiesta or Lincoln MKZ? If so, your vehicle may be under recall.Ford is recalling more than 250,000 cars in the U.S., and another 20,000 in Mexico, due to a door latch issue. The company says doors could open unexpectedly, or may not close, as a lever in the door latch can crack and fail.The recall covers 2014 through 2016 Ford Fusions and Lincoln MKZs, and 2014 and 2015 Ford Fiestas.Currently, Ford has not received any reports of crashes or injuries caused by the issue.Owners with vehicles under this recall will be notified starting May 4, and dealers will replace the side door latches. Pinterest Twitter Facebook Pinterest By Brooklyne Beatty – March 26, 2020 0 369 Twitter Facebook
6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,John Pettit John Pettit is the Managing Editor for CUInsight.com. John manages the content on the site, including current news, editorial, press releases, jobs and events. He keeps the credit union … Web: www.cuinsight.com Details Every office is different. Some are super relaxed and some are very intense. In every office, there are distractions. But are these always bad? I dare say that some distractions can actually be good for a more relaxed culture. Here are three distractions that may not be as harmful as they once seemed…Smart devices: At one point, cell phones were really frowned upon in the workplace. But these days, with access to mobile apps, your employees are actually more connected to their job when they have their phone in their hand. If an employee leaves their desk for a few minutes, they can still stay connected to their email inbox. If you send a message to a colleague through a collaborative app like Slack or Workplace, they can stay within reach even if they’re away on a coffee run.Water cooler convos: You don’t want your employees spending half their day engaged in gossip, but a casual conversation at the water cooler can help your team engage each other and build stronger workplace relationships. While the convo might start off focusing on weekend plans, it’s probably just as likely to turn its focus to things happening in the workplace. Stronger work relationships can lead to better collaboration and cooperation.Ping-pong and pets: Not all offices are pet friendly, and not all offices have space for a ping-pong table. The point here is that your office can find something that will bring your employees joy. A happy workplace is a stress-free workplace and that’s great for morale and productivity.
Auction numbers are set to rise in 2017. Picture: Tara Croser.ONE analyst said despite last week’s softer auction clearance rate in Brisbane, the sale method will gain popularity this year.Corelogic’s most recent Auction Market Preview shows Brisbane had 102 Auctions scheduled for last week with 84 proceeding to an event.Of those offered under the hammer, 57.1 per cent sold compared to 63.0 per cent for the week before.Corelogic auction spokesman, Kevin Brogan, said the softer result is good compared to the city’s past performance.“The number of auctions this week at 117 is at the lower end of what might be considered normal but it’s a bit timely.“That’s quite a normal set of volume as we ramp up into the 2017 season, but last year you had a clearance rate sitting in the high 40 per cent to low 50 per cent – so when you say the clearance rate is maybe a bit lower, it actually sits within a certain per cent of what it was for last week – so it’s not a bad result for Brisbane at all.”More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home3 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor8 hours agoMr Brogan said Brisbane will continue to have lower auction numbers than Sydney and Melbourne.“There is an issue of, if I can call it, ‘cultural acceptance’.“In somewhere like Brisbane, and also in Adelaide, the properties that go to auction are those that are really where the agent identifies they’ve got a competitive edge in the market.”He said these are the more unusual listings that need be tested on the market.“So you tend not to see the sort of things that you might get in Melbourne, for example, where you get a regular sort of house going to auction.”Despite this, Mr Brogan said agents will continue to use auctions as an effective marketing tool.“Basically, listing a property for auction actually brings matters to a head because you’ve got the marketing campaign for an auction which is typically a fairly concentrated effort.“So an auction campaign in terms of marketing can be considered to be deemed to be successful even if the property hasn’t sold under the hammer, but rather prior or after.”
Blida, Algeria | AFP | Reluctant favourites TP Mazembe of the Democratic Republic of Congo are poised to win the CAF Confederation Cup after drawing 1-1 at Mouloudia Bejaia of Algeria Saturday in the first leg of the final.Jonathan Bolingi, one of four Congolese in the Mazembe starting line-up, converted a late first-half penalty to give the visitors a 1-0 half-time lead at Stade Mustapha Tchaker in Blida.Bejaia captain and playmaker Faouzi Yaya equalised midway through the second half direct from a free-kick before wasting a good chance to win the match.The second leg is next Sunday in Congolese mining city Lubumbashi and a goalless draw will give Mazembe the trophy for the first time after finishing runners-up three seasons ago.Although Mazembe have won nine CAF titles — including five Champions League successes — French coach Hubert Velud disowned the tag of favourites before the first leg.He insisted the title-decider in the African equivalent of the Europa League was a “50-50 affair” after two close-fought group games between the clubs.Mazembe forced a 0-0 draw in Algeria last July and won the return match 1-0 thanks to a goal from Zambia captain Rainford Kalaba.Bejaia began with nine Algerians plus Malian Soumaila Sidibe and France-born Chad international Morgan Betorangal. Apart from four Congolese, Mazembe fielded three Zambians, two Malians and two Ivorians.New Algeria coach Georges Leekens from Belgium was among a large, noisy crowd in the 37,000-capacity stadium as Bejaia dominated early territory and possession.Mouloudia, competing in the Africa for the first time this year, had a chance to take the lead on 20 minutes when they got behind the Mazembe defence.But Betorangal only got a timid poke at a low cross and goalkeeper Sylvain Gbohouo smothered the ball.Mazembe went ahead on 43 minutes after sloppy defending by Sofiane Baouali allowed Roger Assale to break through and he was fouled by goalkeeper Chamseddine Rahmani.Bolingi, the son of a former DR Congo goalkeeper, scored his fourth Confederation Cup goal of the season with a spot-kick into the corner of the net.Yaya fluffed a chance to equalise early in the second half before levelling on 66 minutes with a free-kick that drifted over the defensive wall and high into the net.A weak back-header by Salif Coulibaly seven minutes later offered Yaya a chance to score again, but he shot straight at the onrushing Gbohouo.Share on: WhatsApp
In this Nov. 18, 2018, file photo, former Baltimore Ravens NFL football player Ray Rice stands on the Ravens sideline before a game between the Ravens and the Cincinnati Bengals, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Nick Wass, file)NEW YORK (AP) — Former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice says he’s not speaking out against domestic violence as a way to rejoin the NFL.Appearing Tuesday in a “CBS This Morning” interview with his wife, Janay, Rice said he sees similarities with himself after a video showed Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt shoving and kicking a woman at a hotel last month. Hunt was released by the Chiefs.“Well, obviously, you know, you look back and you see the similarities,” Rice said. “Early on you could feel like ‘Why they keep bringing my name up?’ You can make excuses or you can actually do the hard work,” Rice said.Rice was dropped from the team after he was captured on videos punching, kicking and dragging his then-fiancee from an elevator in 2014.In this Nov. 5, 2014, file photo, Ray Rice arrives with his wife, Janay Palmer, for an appeal hearing of his indefinite suspension from the NFL, in New York. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow, File) 2 hours ago “I hate that person. I hate him. Somewhere down the line everybody who’s sayin’, ‘Does he deserve a second chance for football?’ And this that and the other – I actually got my second chance,” Rice said, when the couple married weeks later.Janay Rice said she had no idea she was in an abusive relationship until she was forced to think about it. She said she has never seen the video in which Rice beat her. She said it was the first and only time he physically abused her.“I was there. I lived it. I don’t really need to relive it over and over again just to appease the world,” she said.Rice denies he’s looking to get back on the field.“Well, see that for me, is something that I understand why it was being said early on about, you know, is this a ploy to get back into football. And I’ll be the first one to say it. I don’t have to retire to tell you I’m done with football. The pressure I was under of being a star, that was the person I hated the most,” he said.He has met with the NFL and shared his story as part of the league’s domestic violence education program.“I know they are working with groups to try to get more of an understanding. And they’re doing the work,” he said.
Facebook5Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Timberland Regional LibraryDouglas A. Blackmon, author of the Pulitzer-Prize winning book “Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II,” will speak at the Olympia Timberland Library on Friday, February 22 from 7 to 8:15 p.m. The program will occur after regular library hours. Books will be available for purchase and signing. The lecture is free of charge and open to the public.Slavery by Another Name presents evidence that slavery in the United States did not end with the Civil War, instead persisting well into the 20th century. It exposes the forced labor of African American men and women, often imprisoned speciously, through the convict lease system used by southern states, local governments, white farmers, and corporations after the American Civil War until World War II in the southern United States. Based on original documents and personal narratives, Slavery by Another Name unearths the lost stories of slaves and their descendants who were pressed back into involuntary servitude after the Emancipation Proclamation had promised freedom. Blackmon continues to gather personal narratives on the subject.A New York Times bestseller in both hardback and paperback, the book won the 2009 prize for General Non-Fiction. The Pulitzer committee called it “a precise and eloquent work that examines a deliberate system of racial suppression and that rescues a multitude of atrocities from virtual obscurity.”About the author:Blackmon is a contributing editor at The Washington Post and chair and host of Forum, a public affairs program that airs on PBS stations. Until joining the Washington Post in 2011, Blackmon was the longtime chief of The Wall Street Journal’s Atlanta bureau and the paper’s Senior National Correspondent. He has written about or directed coverage of some of the most pivotal stories in American life.Blackmon is a much sought after lecturer on race, history and social memory. In 2010, he was invited by Attorney General Eric Holder to present a lecture to senior Department of Justice officials in Washington D.C. He has also lectured at Harvard School of Law, Yale University, Princeton and many other institutions.Blackmon has written extensively over the past 25 years about the American quandary of race–exploring the integration of schools during his childhood in a Mississippi Delta farm town in the 1970s and the dilemma of how a contemporary society should grapple with a troubled past. He also co-produced a 90-minute documentary film based on his book that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and on PBS in early 2012.Blackmon grew up in Leland, Mississippi and now lives in Atlanta, Georgia and Charlottesville, Virginia.The Olympia Timberland Library is located at 313 8th Avenue. For more information, contact the library at (360) 352-0595 or visit www.TRL.org.